Monday, November 17, 2014

Yosemite Updated -- As Predicted

A few days ago I predicted here that Apple would release "...an update to Yosemite 10.10, iOS 8 and, maybe even iTunes. Perhaps even as soon as Nov 17..." Well, to cut a long story short ... it's happened ... at least for Yosemite. On Nov 17 Apple released OS X Update 10.10.1 (Yosemite). Improvements should include Wi-Fi reliability, Microsoft Exchange connection and Mail, according to the App Store Update page.

I initiated the download and, as it warned me that it could take over an hour, including a restart, I took a break, made myself a cup of tea, had a shower and returned to discover that the system was just about to reboot.

Excellent timing!

Meanwhile, on a hunch, I had also checked my iPhone Software Update settings and, sure enough, 8.1.1 was waiting for me to download. (I always choose not to update anything automatically, just in case...)

So, while Yosemite was updating, I also began the download of 8.1.1 (about 43MB) and, this too happened during my shower break, I'm happy to say. Almost immediately after the OS X update finished, so did my iPhone's. All looks good so far. I do imagine there's an improvement in speed of operations on both -- Yosemite and my iPhone, including a tad more smoothness in handling things. I'm afraid I can't be clearer than that for now. Let's hope it also solves the few memory problems reported, including that of Safari which appeared to hog quite a bit while it was in use.

Meanwhile, as I finish this post, my iPad has just rebooted itself after installing 8.1.1.

Hopefully it will be less jerky than before, just like my iPhone. I'm happy for now. Thank you, Apple!

No comments: